Has working out ever felt like a serious chore to you? I know I am definitely guilty of this feeling and making excuses NOT to work out. As much as I aim to live a very active and healthy lifestyle, I still have my days where the last thing I want to do is make an effort to break a sweat. Making every single excuse NOT to work out is something I can become very good at when I’m just not feeling it. I’m too tired or I deserve a “break” is usually my favorite excuse (and yes, sometimes we do need a break.) Most of the time, I have to really pump myself up or remind myself how GREAT I feel after I’m done working out. Or I will have a goal in mind that I want to achieve and go back to why I’m working out in the first place. Today, I’m sharing 10 tips on how to stay motivated to work out when it’s literally the last thing you feel like doing.
1.Keep snacks handy. I know I tend to get really hungry after work so I definitely like to have a snack handy just in case. I know if I’m too hungry, I’ll want to eat which then delays my working out and before I know it, I’m laying on the couch watching T.V. (yes, it has happened many times.) My go-to snacks are bananas, nuts, Rx bars, or Lara bars.
2.Get dressed! Getting dressed and actually going to the gym is always half the battle. Once you’re there, you’re already practically done with the workout.
3. Sign up for classes beforehand. A week in advance if you have to. Late penalties or not getting refunded will definitely force me to go.
4. Ask a buddy. Flaking on a friend is not as easy to do! You’re more than likely to stick to the plan to meet up and work out together.
5. Create a new playlist. There’s nothing that motivates me more than when I have some new tunes to listen to!
6. Create a vision board. I have a secret Pinterest board of images that motivate me for when I am in a little bit of a rut.
7. Remember the benefits and the “why.” Summer time? Wedding? Skinny jeans? Wanting to achieve better health? To become stronger? Focus on that.
8. Get a Fitbit or any other fitness tracker. I don’t know about you but I love competition especially when I am basically competing against myself! Setting a goal for 10,000 steps a day is a great goal and I make sure to reach it everyday, even if I have to run back and forth in our tiny apartment to get there. I’ve been loving my Fitbit Charge 2.
Check out some other reviews of other Fitbits to help you decide on what’s best for you!
9. Think of it as a stress relief or “you” time. I know that sounds kind of silly to some, but working out for me is my stress reliever and my “me time.” I crave that feeling!
10. You never really regret a work out. Do you? Exactly.
What are some other tips for staying motivated to work out? Please share below! I’d love to hear about them!