Hi guys! I’m so sorry I’ve been a bit M.I.A. on the blog this past week. I decided to take a break so I could feel a bit more refreshed and inspired once again.
I thought today’s post would be a good one to write about since I’ve been engaged now the last 7 months and with us getting the rest of our engagement photos, I thought I’d write about a topic that relates a bit to what I’m currently going through (and what I know some newly engaged brides – to – be are also going through).
When Hector and I got engaged on December 30, 2016, it was the happiest day of my life! I LOVE weddings so much! I think they are so fun and wonderful especially when you can really see just how much love the couple has for one another. Going to a wedding always made me wonder what mine would be like someday. Getting married was always something that I dreamed of and it was finally happening to me!
Well, that someday is approaching at what seems like a rapid pace (6.30.18!) and with everything that’s happened so far, I have to say it’s been a very happy time but also a very stressful one. From trying to figure out where and when to HOW IN THE HECK AM I GOING TO PAY FOR THIS WEDDING, getting engaged can be somewhat bittersweet.
Everyone’s experience and planning is different but I thought why not share my own tips from my experience so far. FYI, I’m still trying to take this advice for myself. Also, stay tuned for the end of this post to see some more photos from our engagement photoshoot with Dream2be Image Photography!
5 Pieces of Advice for Newly Engaged Couples
1. Celebrate and enjoy your time once you’ve recently got engaged. This is a super exciting time! What I mean by this is don’t feel the need to rush into your wedding planning right away. Unless you’re getting married 6 months from the date, you have time to just take in the fact that you guys are taking the next BIG step in your lives! Enjoy it while you can!
2. Everything seems overwhelming in the beginning. The guest list, figuring out the budget, figuring out where, and WHEN. There were several times when I told Hector eloping or getting married at cityhall sounded better and better. People deal with the planning differently but for me, I had two very different locations to choose from: Puerto Rico vs. Chicago. Figuring out where was the biggest and most stressful part of all. I am here to tell you that when you finally decide where you’re having your wedding and you book that venue, you will breathe a sigh of relief and everything else will feel like a piece of cake.
3. The wedding is about YOU and your future husband. The guests and your family are a very big part of your day but ultimately, remember that it’s what you want and what you’re envisioning for your special day. Take the opinions of others with a grain of salt. You can’t make everyone happy.
4. After enjoying your time as a newly engaged couple, figure out the guest list first thing. Wedding venues will want a number so they can give you a rough estimate of total cost.
5. Regardless of how stressful things are or when you feel like eloping to Vegas, remember to just have FUN and enjoy every moment. (I know it’s easier said than done sometimes). I keep telling myself that regardless of how stressful things may get, I want to enjoy every moment of the wedding planning process. I always hear how quickly it passes so I have to remind myself to take a step back and remember what the most important aspect of all is: marrying the love of my life!
And with that, I leave you with some more photos from our awesome photoshoot with Dream2Be Image Photography! We had such a blast! I wish we could do it ALL over again 😉